Thursday, April 14, 2011

Steamed or Fried Siomai - Hen Lin or Paotsin

Do you like siomai? Do you like it fried or steamed?

Many of us Filipinos like our food fried - fried chicken, fried fish, fried porkchop, fried egg, fried rice and yes, fried siomai. This probably explains why in malls or food centers, Paotsin (they serve fried siomai, sharksfin, etc.) would more often than not have longer lines than Hen Lin. This was the case when I went to a mall last week. Since I was in a hurry, I decided to 'just' order in Hen Lin even if at that time what I really wanted to have was fried sharksfin and the green rice from Paotsin.

I ordered spareribs with rice and an extra order of 3-pc steamed siomai. I wasn't really sure if I'd like what I ordered but I had no other choice since I didn't want to have siopao that time. I also didn't want chicken feet which is the other viand Hen Lin is offering.

Anyway, I was surprised with the spareribs I ordered. It was really yummy. I love the blending of the sweet, salty and spicy flavors. The meat is also tender. The steamed siomai is also okay. I still like my siomai fried but Hen Lin's steamed variety is acceptable. What I wasn't really satisfied with is the yang chow fried rice - this is what they serve with the spareribs as part of their 'combo' offering. If I didn't have much expectations with the siomai and the spareribs, I was looking  forward to a good tasting yang chow fried rice. What they served was just like ordinary fried rice with yellow coloring. Well,  there were bacon (or was it chorizo?) bits on top but it didn't help improve the taste.

spareribs with yang chow fried rice and 3 pieces steamed siomai
up close
the fried rice with bacon bits


Overall, the experience was good. I look forward to eating at Hen Lin again the next time I go to the mall or grocery/supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment