Friday, May 08, 2015

Experimenting with Seasonings and Mixes

I started writing this piece early this morning but I got sidetracked when I saw a post about the Finals of Asia's Got Talent. The post was about the great performances of El Gamma Penumbra, Junior New System and Gerphil Flores so I watched them first. I was really stunned by their performances. El Gamma Penumbra's performance was touching. It brought me to tears actually. I was also amazed with Gerphil. Her voice was so powerful I thought the lights would break. And the Junior New System really brought the house down. Their stunts were amazing. There's another act from the Philippines but I'm gonna watch it later. Anyway, what I'm gonna write now is about seasonings and mixes. There's no connection at all. Lol

Last Sunday, I was talking to a cousin who also loves to cook. He told me that he does not use seasonings and mixes anymore. He's into healthy stuff right now. I told him I still use them occasionally. I buy some mixes like Kung Pao Chicken Mix, Sisig Mix, etc. But the thing is I do not use them for their intended purpose. What I mean is I do not use the Sisig Mix to make Sisig or the Kung pao Chicken Mix to make Kung Pao Chicken (I don't even know how to do this). 

I use these mixes to create other dishes. For example, I've used the Sisig Mix as marinade for barbecue. I tell you those who tried it had fun eating my barbecue. I once used it also for the ground pork that I topped our pasta with. Even the kids who like the basic red spaghetti liked it. But it wasn't for snacks though. We had it for lunch.
This is an example of the mix I use. This picture is from cee-enterprise.com.

The Kung Pao Chicken I used a lot experiments already. I used it for mixed vegetables with chicken strips. I also used it for a tofu dish. I just added shitake and button mushrooms. I also once used it as marinade for chicken barbecue. I even used it for fish sarciado.

What I'm trying to point out here is that there are a whole lot of things that you can do with these seasonings and mixes. You can create dishes that are out of the ordinary. You can make dishes that you've never tried before. This will make your husband or wife and kids excited about what you will cook for lunch or dinner. You can make great alternatives to the usual adobo, caldereta or menudo. Do not be afraid to experiment. Just do not be like. I mean I do not write down the things I've made so I am never able to repeat them -- expect for the barbecue. But then again there is nothing wrong with that. At least what you serve is always something new, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment